Summary of the Governor’s Thursday press conference:
1. There are 969 new cases (946 from the community) for a total of 63,081.
Hospitalizations: Decreased -10 = 425
Deaths: Increased 20 = 861
Counties with the highest number of new cases:
Washington (211); Pulaski; Benton; Jefferson;
Sebastian; Saline; Faulkner; & Craighead.
2. Testing: 7,827 in the last 24 hours. Antigen tests: 1,125 with a positivity rate of 11.1%.
3. Education: Of the new cases in college towns/areas, 81% are in the age group of 18-24. College students must take this seriously.
The Governor gave compliments to everyone involved in K-12, as overall cases have been low. There are two schools moving to remote learning: one in the Jacksonville district & one in the Earle district.
4. Corrections: Beginning 9/8 intakes will begin again at the Ouachita River Unit. This will help with the backlog in county jails. In October, the Department of Corrections will begin phased in visitations at their facilities.
5. The Governor addressed his executive authority in response to a lawsuit that has been filed.